Sunday, January 6, 2013

An intense love story..an end?

I watched the India-Pakistan match today, and everytime I involuntarily wished I could see Sachin walk in to take guard. Yes, Sachin retired. He will never wear the Indian blue again.

It just took a small press conference, but now I am feeling the enormity of that announcement. This means no more being happy at India's first wicket falling, no more waiting to leap in joy for that flawless cover drive and no more seeing divinity brush shoulders with mortals on a cricket ground. No more Sachin. The thought itself  is scary, disturbing. Accuse me of being melodramatic, I plead guilty.



For a country which is only captivated by actresses, politicians etc.; this man captivated everybody's imagination. A kid to an old man. I think he is one of the few factors common across generations: "I saw Sachin Tendulkar bat". Now coming to think of it, there will now be generations in India which will not be able to see Sachin live on the ground. I don't know whether it was correct for him to retire, but all I am saying is that I miss him. People told it was "logical" for him to retire.

Logical? What is logical in sport, especially with Sachin? Was it logical when he stood alone against the greatest bowling attacks of the world? Was it logical for him to be decimating teams along with carrying a billion expectations? Maybe it was good that he retired, when he still retained the divinity. No debates on how much the team misses Sachin, and even Laxman, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble. But we miss them too.



We are fortunate to have him in this country. However finally, the little master's love story with India seems to have ended. I am happy to have been part of this affair.If somebody asks me about the highlights of my generation, I will just say this: I have seen Sachin score a hundred hundreds, a double century and lift the world cup. I have seen Sachin Tendulkar bat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers